A brief History
The Co-operative began trading in February 1978, its objective is to provide an efficient and convenient service to the Swinburne Community. In 1992 the Co-operative opened a branch at the Mooroolbark (formerly Lilydale) Campus. In 1993 another branch of the Co-operative was established at the Prahran Campus. New stores were later opened at Wantirna and Croydon in 1999.
40 years on the Hawthorn shop still exists today.
The bookshop was set up as a Co-operative to raise working capital from the sale of shares (memberships). The main principles structure of the co-operative is that the control of the operation stays with members. All profits of the Co-operative remain with the organisation to ensure sustainable viability and future growth of the business. No external beneficiaries exist.
Bookshop Products & Services
- Academic Textbooks
- Secondhand textbooks – buy & sell
- Reference books
- General books / fiction / nonfiction etc
- Course Notes & materials
- Stationery & office supplies, Moleskine & Fabio Ricci Notebooks
- Art & Design materials & supplies
- Copic Pens, Derwent & Prismacolor pencils
- Graphic & Engineering supplies
- Specialist course equipment and clothing
- Swinburne branded gifts & merchandise, clothing, memorabilia and accessories
- Gift cards, wrapping paper, Keepcups, memobottles and novelties
- Computer and Technology products, Design tablets & accessories
- CD & DVD media, USB and storage
- Calculators and accessories (including exam approved calculators)
- Confectionery & drinks
- Discounted movie vouchers and Gift vouchers
- In store and online orders - Web orders, click and collect
- Special orders
- Membership Benefits
- Print & Binding service for presentation of assignments
- Domestic and international Shipping
The control of the operation is with the Board of Directors which in turn is elected by co-op members. Membership is open to everyone, and new members are welcome. Discounts and other benefits are available to our members.
- Lifetime membership
- Once off joining fee of $20.00
- 10% discount off full price items, including textbooks
- 15% off general books
- Membership also allows you to attend the Co-operative’s Annual General Meeting, where you can voice your opinion as a member as well as an opportunity to run for vacant positions on the board.
As a service to Swinburne students, the Bookshop buys and sells textbooks on your behalf. Please note that only books that are currently prescribed for Swinburne course subjects and are current editions can be accepted for re-sale. Re-sales are on consignment only unless advised otherwise, please check our second hand book page for details.
We recommend you to purchase the required textbooks or references before or at the beginning of each semester. If you are not available to make immediate purchase either in store or online, we are happy to reserve books for up to 7 days.
We provide a special order service for the hard to find books or books that are not available in our store. The bookshop has access to a large network of suppliers worldwide, and books that are currently in print can be ordered in. A small deposit of 20% to the value of the order is generally required.
Stationery, office supplies, graphic or art supplies, calculators, peripherals, etc. can also be ordered. Ask for a quote before you buy elsewhere. We are here to provide a service for you.
We welcome your suggestions to improve our services to you. If you have a suggestion to make please contact us at the Hawthorn Bookshop, Phone: (03) 9214 5484 or via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org